Sorry my site is currently down for maintenance it should be back up soon!
My new portfolio site is up and live! Check it out here.
When you’re working as a digital designer getting messing and physically working with your hands isn’t something that happens regularly. I was really excited when I found a master class in screen printing at a local brewery. When I started with this design it was an intricate set of 3 poppies. Once I got going I forgot how annoying it is to cut a stencil with an Exacto knife (scalpel in the UK). I powered through, with a pint of course and ended up with a nice stencil. The best bit was getting to screen print though. Just getting covered in ink a bit and physically working with a medium was something I missed. I definitely want to get my own screen printing kit soon.
So this is my finished project for D&AD. I’m pretty happy with it. I tried to keep it clean and simple. To see how I got here look at this post.
D&AD New Blood is something I’m really excited about. I haven’t been doing much for myself recently when it comes to art direction so I’m excited to be working on this.
But when I started I was overwhelmed to say the least… I mean look at how many briefs there are and they are all great choices. I spent so much time thinking about what I wanted to do. I mean currently I’ve been focusing on design so I didn’t want a purely design brief. I found myself narrowing the briefs down to 3 that I liked the best.
Ford, DesignBridge and John Lewis were the ones I focused on, but as you can see from my notes those three turned to the one very quickly. I decided the DesignBridge brief was the one for me. I’ve been working on it for a while and I think I may have the concept narrowed down. And although the brief is a product design brief I’m going to include some print ads that present the concept further. I can’t wait to present my idea for how to make a beauty brand that breaks the cliche and stereotyped gender branding types.
Verizon wireless is a well known cell phone (mobile 😀 ) company in the States. Although I never personally used their services they are a very popular company. They recently decided that it was time for a redesign and although I totally agree with the thought, what they did is not the best. See the logo’s below.
The check is still there, it’s still a sans serif font, still black and iconic red. But really?! it’s clean which I like, but it’s pretty boring… Yeah just don’t like it. BUT it didn’t stop there… They designed this website.
Yes I did just draw comments on it. I mean as a site it works, but I don’t understand the icons…
I decided to have a go in trying to redesign it. Starting with sketches of course and then creating it again in illustrator.
I tried to keep the logo consistent with the original design. Keeping the red and the check mark in a way, playing with fonts. I ended up being happiest with this one:
I feel as though it makes more sense then the floating check mark and it’s more modern than the old version. I still want to work more on this, so I will try to come back to it.
When I lived in St. Louis I worked for the German School Association of Greater St. Louis. It was an organisation that I was really proud to be a part of. We taught German culture and the language to students every Saturday morning. My classes were children’s classes, but we also had adult classes. But this post isn’t about how great my experience was or how great the organisation is. It’s about something that really bothered me about the company. The Brand Design! From the logo to the Website, I was never really happy with it. I just thought it could be better. I mean take a look…
I tried to think about the various sides of the German school and it’s mission. I thought about how they are trying to show the traditional while enticing students to be curious and explore the modern side of German culture. This lead me to the two design channels.
I then decided to bring the designs into Adobe Illustrator and bring them to life a little more.
German has a great deal of “traditional” and “modern” typefaces that are really attributed to movements and the culture. I started with blackletter fonts and thought that might be too traditional for a school in 2015. So I looked to Bauhaus and tried to draw inspiration from there. Looked at classic Bauhaus posters. I ended up really liking the layered G & S look, but still not sure if that is right for the school.
I started to delve into their website and critiquing what worked and what didn’t. My comments are on the website below. I’m going to need to spend more time working on this, but I think I’ve made great progress so far.